"Unbreakable" records!
"Unbreakable" records!
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

1 2 >>>
A follow-up from last night's gchat....will any of the following records ever be broken?

NFL:
Most career receiving yards: Jerry Rice, 22,895 (1985-2004)
Most Touchdowns: Jerry Rice, 203 (1985-2004)
Most career rushing yards: Emmitt Smith, 18,355 (1990-2004)
Gerald Ford: Most NFL contracts declined by a future President: 2 (Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers)

MLB:
Highest season batting average: Nap Lajoie, .426 (1901)
Most career wins: Cy Young, 511 (1890-1911)
Most runs batted in (season): Lewis Robert “Hack” Wilson, 191 (1930)
Most career strikeouts: Nolan Ryan, 5,714 (1966, 1968-93)
Most consecutive games played: Cal Ripken, 2,632 (May 30, 1982-Sept. 19, 1998)

NHL:
Wayne Gretzky: 2,857 NHL career points (1979-99)

NBA:
Highest scoring average, single season: Wilt Chamberlain, 50.4 (1961-62)
Most points, single game: Wilt Chamberlain, 100 (March 2, 1962)

Soccer / "Football":
Just Fontaine: 13 goals for France in one FIFA World Cup finals tournament (June 8-28, 1958)

PGA:
Byron Nelson: 11 consecutive PGA tour victories (1945)

Cycling:
Lance Armstrong: 7 consecutive Tour de France titles (1999-2005)
The one that stands out most is the 50.4 scoring average.... Thats never gonna be matched for a bunch of reasons.

--
Quote by Devhesinter
The one that stands out most is the 50.4 scoring average.... Thats never gonna be matched for a bunch of reasons.

Yeah that one stuck out to me as well but not for any particular reason. Has the NBA changed to cement this record somehow?
Most of Rice's records will stand the test of time, it's not often you'll get a WR who's resistant to injury and who had two HOF qb's tossing to him for majority of his career.

Gretzky's record won't be ever be broken unless they bar goalies from dropping to the ground and flopping like octopuses.

--

i think wayne-o's single season point record will never be touched either.. like 216 or something ridiculous

--
Eureka! The hat goes on the head!
Quote by Zeigt

This will never be broken. With today's pitching rotations, a starting pitcher would have to win every single start for 15 consecutive seasons.

--
[4/23/09 10:48:29] Myst: plus i want to get deep fast
not to mention the bats they have to face (and what they have in them). obviously cal ripken's record is the most simple to break if someone can stay healthy for that long. One record that i don't see there is Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak. I know a few guys have flirted with 30 recently but that's just over half way

--
Quote by yeyo
not to mention the bats they have to face (and what they have in them). obviously cal ripken's record is the most simple to break if someone can stay healthy for that long. One record that i don't see there is Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak. I know a few guys have flirted with 30 recently but that's just over half way

Not to mention after the streak ended, he went on a another 17 game streak afterwards!!

--

Quote by DrPleaser
Quote by yeyo

Not to mention after the streak ended, he went on a another 17 game streak afterwards!!

And the call that ended his 56 game streak was VERY controversial!
Highest season batting average: Nap Lajoie, .426 (1901)

I don't think we'll even see another .400 batter let alone a .425 hitter. The talent pool has gone international and situational relievers and closers keep hitters off balance from beginning to end. This one will probably never be broken!
Quote by Keeblerian
Quote by Zeigt

This will never be broken. With today's pitching rotations, a starting pitcher would have to win every single start for 15 consecutive seasons.

Wow, that's staggering when you say it like that! Inconceivable!
Quote by yeyo

Simple yes, in that it's bascially a "perfect attendance" record. But to imply that it would be easy to achieve really doesn't give the record it's due. Imagine playing a 162 game season for 16 consecutive years without a bump, bruise, sprain, fatigue or anything else for that matter that would keep you from playing. It's actually kind of mind boggling to me because I could barely make it through a 30+ game season when I played in college...and I was a reliever LOL.
there is an important thing to remember about records; they're meant to be broken, and they always break eventually!
Thank you Thorta!!! we may not be alive to see them broken but some super sperm child will eventually have what it takes (you can do it keep). And as far as the ripken record, you only have to enter the game to count, you can pinch hit and it counts as a game played which makes the record much more achievable. As far as a batter hitting .400, i'm 100% positive this will happen and within the next 10 years. Lots of players have been flirting with that recently, chipper jones hit .364 last season and pujols hit .357, with another 3 solid games, that would become .400

--
Quote by yeyo
Thank you Thorta!!! we may not be alive to see them broken but some super sperm child will eventually have what it takes (you can do it keep). And as far as the ripken record, you only have to enter the game to count, you can pinch hit and it counts as a game played which makes the record much more achievable. As far as a batter hitting .400, i'm 100% positive this will happen and within the next 10 years. Lots of players have been flirting with that recently, chipper jones hit .364 last season and pujols hit .357, with another 3 solid games, that would become .400

Pujols was 5 for 9 in his last 3 games of 2008. Take those away, and he would have to go 40 for 40 over the last 3 games in order to turn .357 into .400.

Of course, I ultimately agree with you that having another .400 hitter is the most likely possibility. In fact, Ichiro would've done it by now if he weren't such an aggressive hitter. For the last five years, he's hovered around the 50 BB mark with robot-like precision. Turn some of those batted outs/strikeouts into walks, and you're at .400.

Speaking of Ichiro and records, I really hope he can rack up 3,000 hits. For someone who didn't even start playing in the bigs until 27, that would be an incredible accomplishment. I think he can do it, too.

Btw, thanks for your encouragement in my fathering a super sperm child. I can guarantee you he will not be named Barry, Mark, Sammy, or Rafael (among others).

--
Quote by yeyo
i'm 100% positive this will happen and within the next 10 years. Lots of players have been flirting with that recently, chipper jones hit .364 last season and pujols hit .357

The last person to hit .400 was Ted Williams in 1941...58 years ago! I don't know how you can have 100% confidence that this will happen within 10 years if it's been over half a century since the last occurence. Also, I do not consider mid to 3/4 .300 averages as flirting with .400. IMO, the last person to truly flirt with .400 was George Brett, and that was almost 30 years ago. Todd Helton made a decent push in 2000 but fell way off pace about mid-way through the season.
i'll disagree with the .400 avg thing cause of this:

1) The eye's reaction time is around 2.5/3 tenths of a second hence batting avg hovering around .250 to .300, anything above .300 signifies tremendous eye-hand coordination.

2) Pitching mechanics have made huge leaps in 50 years making it a completely different ball game so to speak. Sure the talent pool has diluted since then but training and coaching has only become stronger.

3) Ted Williams was an absolute NUTJOB when it came to studying hitting. No one before or since has spent more time learning all there is know about swinging a bat. He also did nothing that would harm his eyes in any way.

This is why I don't think .400 will be cracked again.

--

Chipper was damn close last year and keebs is right that ichiro could pull it off. he can slap singles all day if he wants.
Just throwin this out there but watch out for Kevin Youkilis this year

--
Quote by DrPleaser

3) Ted Williams was an absolute NUTJOB when it came to studying hitting. No one before or since has spent more time learning all there is know about swinging a bat. He also did nothing that would harm his eyes in any way.

You mean other than be a U.S. Navy fighter pilot for WW II and the Korean War? In that case, yeah, nothing.

--
Quote by Keeblerian
Quote by DrPleaser

You mean other than be a U.S. Navy fighter pilot for WW II and the Korean War? In that case, yeah, nothing.

HE WAS A TRUE PATRIOT DAMMIT

--

1 2 >>>
[Back to Index]
66 Unique Guild Members
262 Characters (alts included)
4 Level 110 characters
30 Website/Forum Members
1 Posts in 24 hours
5 Posts in 7 days
16924 Total Posts
Noxxon is the last poster